[VHFcontesting] Improvements to a Rover over the years

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Mon Jun 1 18:19:42 PDT 2009

Hello all....for our White Rover, Army, AE5P, made a board that exactly
fit the window opening.  I think he used 1/2" x 6" stock.  He is a great
woodworker, so this(impossible for me) task was fairly easy for him.
Then he milled out an area in the center of the board and mounted an Al
plate.  Then he drilled holes for Type N bulkhead connectors.

To install this, you just roll the window down about 8", put the board
in and roll the window back up.  The board is also slotted on the bottom
to receive the window pane.  It has a "hump" on the top that fits into
the window frame, sealing everything.  We have 8 coax connectors and 3
power connectors that pass through this contraption.  To remove it, just
unscrew the coax connectors from one side(either side would work), open
the window a bit, and take it out.  This means no mods to the car, no
drilling holes in the fenders, etc.

Matt, W5LL, also recommended using foam type pipe insulation.  That
works well too, and does not require any fabrication.  Just split a
piece of 1/2" or 3/4" foam insulation into two halves.  Put one on the
window pane and the other one above that onto the top of the window
opening.  Put the coaxes in between the two foam halves and roll up the
window.  This is not completely waterproof, especially in a torrential
downpour, but it will keep the water out pretty well.  In addition, it
is a cheap solution with materials that are easliy available anywhere in
the country.

73 to all....See you in the June contest.....Marshall K5QE