[VHFcontesting] [VHF] 1st Time Rover-What the Hell was I thinking?

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 07:11:39 PDT 2009

OK Les, you will have a lot of fun with that setup. It is very
impressive. I am glad you have mentors right there that can help you.
I pretty much started out from scratch, using advice I read about in
QST and on the internet. Be aware, though that those mentors have
gotten you addicted to something that you can never shake, roving is
as addictive as alcohol, nicotine, and opiates. Like pushers, they did
it for their own good, so they can have more contacts on bands with
sparse population! :^)= Seriously it looks like you go a lot of good
help and that setup will keep you busy the whole contest weekend.

Now you know why I, and others, suggest rovers start out small. A two
meter and six meter station are ideal for the beginner. It gives you a
good taste of roving and doesn't overwhelm. In the June contest, there
is usually a lot to do with just those two bands. Plus with two bands
you will get a lot of encouragement to add others. A rover requires
heavier and heavier doses.

As you have probably discovered, roving is very much the art of using
the limited resources of a vehicle to the best advantage. Space for
rigs, height for antennas, power to run everything, and operating
position are all limited in a vehicle and one can quickly run into
brick walls. How you use those limitations makes a big impact on how
well your rover performs.

And yes, setting up a rover seems to be a spectator sport. Small
children are usually very impressed with the goings on and very
willing to fetch dropped items. I set up for the July CQ contest in my
inlaws drive way. My mother in law made a pot of iced tea and she and
my father in law and wife sat in lawn chairs watching me set up the
whole thing.

Be sure to take a key. CW will let you make a lot of contacts you
couldn't otherwise. Plus it will save you time. Trying to eek out a
contact on SSB will eat into your roving time when you can do the same
thing right away on CW. If I call a readable station on SSB a couple
of times and they don't come back, I switch to CW right away. Usually
they come right back.

If you get good 6M openings, you will not want to leave 6M to go to
the higher bands. Remember that the contacts on the higher bands are
multiplied by the 6M mults, so it is worth while to spend a little
time on the higher bands to get hte higher QSO points.

Have fun, and I hope that we can get some Sporadic E for the contest.
- Duffey