[VHFcontesting] K7CW in June Test

k7cw at yahoo.com k7cw at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 11:19:02 PDT 2009

Howdy all!

Wow, that was a fun one. I got my best numbers ever on 6m and I worked 7 new grid squares, five of which will apply towards my FFMA effort (Yes!).

For the second year in a row, I contacted K5QE in EM31 on both bands, 6m and 2m. For our 2m contact, we again utilized the surface of the Moon as a passive reflector.

This time, I got 7 Montana grids on short skip. Until lately, Montana has been a hard one to get, but with the FFMA pressure on, a lot of guys are making the effort to activate tough-to-get grids.

I worked 15 rovers for 18 of my grids on 6m. Two difficult Olympic Peninsula grids, CN77 and CN78, were again activated by rovers and one of my new FFMA grids was, also. It's great to have the rovers out there!

Mike, KB7ME went down to rare CN71 and passed
 that grid out to the deserving. On 6m I got him on SSB meteor scatter.

I worked Jeremy, W7EME who was portable in CN72 on both 6m and 2m. Both times, off the back of the antenna (I had been working VE stations). He had very good signals. He must have found a great location.

I had a great time working the sporadic E openings on both Saturday and Sunday. I think I must have worked half of Chicago in the big opening on Sunday. Somehow, I missed working the 1, 2 and 3 call areas in the milieu. I heard that Clay, W7CE (about 30 miles south of me) did manage to get into the Northeast for a few contacts, though. I worked 2 stations in XE and a whole bunch in the Canadian 4th through 7th call areas. XE2K in DM22 and XE2TZP both had strong signals. VA7ISL on Vancouver Island was, as always, very loud and did very well. VE6JW also had a commanding presence, as they do almost every June.  I think the most remote station that I worked was VE5CTM in DO87 (what in the world is up there?) and my best DX was to W4SO in EL96.

I also ran a 2m FSK441 sked with KL7UW in BP40 (about 2,320 km). Ed got a couple of short pings from me but I got nothing from him. We are going to have to try during a major meteor shower peak.

All in all, it was a pretty good contest. Looking forward to the next one.
Here are my results this time:

6 meters: 426 QSOs/162 multipliers
2 meters: 41 QSOs/14 multipliers
Total: 467 QSOs/176 multipliers for a score of 82,192.

73,
Paul, K7CW