[VHFcontesting] "Handing Out" radio rules/ethics

Christopher Burke burke166 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:14:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:58:04 EDT, <Jimk8mr at aol.com> wrote:

> An less ethical situation occurred at a big hamfest some years ago (when
> hams actually carried working HTs with them) when some friends of a multiop
> contest station had some beams set up in their flea market space, asking
> passing hams to hook up their HTs and work the somewhat distant contest
> station.  I don't know if anything was done about those qsos, but to me it
> flunked
> the  ethical smell test.

Yeah, you can't do that.

General Rules for Contests Above 50 MHz
1.3. A transmitter, receiver, or antenna used to contact one or more
stations may not subsequently be used under any other call during the
contest period, except as provided for in General Rules for All ARRL
Contests number 3.5.

The problem is the rules for any ARRL contest are in three places (General
Rules, rules for VHF or HF contests, then contest specific rules).  This is
more restrictive than the General Rule for All Contests that says only
transmitters can't be shared, but says nothing about antennas or receivers,
which explains why these guys thought it was okay.

73!  Chris N9YH

--
Chris Burke
chris at n9yh.com