[VHFcontesting] Handling coax mismatch--another way

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Tue Jun 30 16:27:17 PDT 2009

Hello Chet and everyone else on the list....I would add another tried
and true method....a matching stub.  You can place a T connector in the
feedline.  The matching stub goes to one side of the T, the antenna to
another side of the T, and the rig to the last side.  The matching stub
should start out just a bit longer than 1/2 wave length(counting the
velocity factor) and open on the far end.  Then you start trimming.  I
have found that at some point, you "get it right" and the SWR goes very
flat. I know that this is not "scientific", it just seems to work.  You
can put an MFJ antenna analyzer on the rig side of the T and watch the
SWR as you trim.  It will just come right down when you get close to the
"Magic Length".  I have done this on 6M, 2M, and 432.  I use RG-58 size,
teflon insulated coax for this, but you could use LMR-400 or just about
anything you have.  You would not want to use very lossy, old, water
filled coax for this.  There is little power "used up" in such a stub.

There are guys that can calculate exactly how long such stubs should
be.  I am not one of them.  However, they first put their $50,000
analyzer on the system so that they can get the exact parameters they
are trying to match.  The worst that I do is to burn up a few feet of
coax.

Again, I am not a genius on the theory side of this, but basically, the
stub has reactance--either Xl or Xc.  When you get the trim just right,
the reactance of the stub cancels out the reactance of the antenna /
feedline.  That may be too simple an explanation, but it works for me.
When you get the trim right, just waterproof the open end of the coax
carefully and you are done.  There may be VERY high voltage at the open
end, so be careful there.  I usually trim just a tiny bit of the shield
back so that there is a longer path from the shield to the center
conductor and put a good quality heat shrink boot over the end--then a
couple of wraps of Scotch 88 vinyl tape.  Clearly, this is a single band
solution.

I welcome better explanations from the guys qualified to do so.....

73 Marshall K5QE