[VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 75, Issue 24

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:15:52 PDT 2009

The point I was trying to make there are so many ways to assist a station, some of them are legal, like running the bands and coordination frequencies, some are not.

however I do not see the difference. If 2 stations are 500km apart on 2 mountain tops and are using 222 for lining up thier 10 ghz shot, how is that different than using thier cell phones or 80 meters or the internet?

If they know thier 222 will be as good as a cell phone, then whats the difference?

We do have the rules stating we cant arange QSOs via FM repeaters don't we?  How is that much different than 40 meters during the day time ground wave propigation? I used to run a net that coordinated non contest vhf plus qsos on 80 meters.

We do have rules against using the 2 meter calling freq to drum up buisness in a contest.

I see that there is two roads the ARRL can go by.

One ........is to eliminate all types of assistance, therefore the only assistance there would be is knowing someone has more upper bands and you just worked them on a lower band.  Even sending out an invitation on running 432 on 2 meters would be coordination as much as using a repeater.  (this is a purist view)  it would be impossible to enforce.

Two...... would be get rid of the term assisted and let people drum up legitment contacts under the contest's rules of exchange by any means available.  If we are trying to get people into weak signal work, this would be the way to go. Encourage someone to get off a repeater and try you on thier 706 on ssb.  This will open a door to growth in our activities. Let the only difference be the classification of our stations

I'm for two.

k3uhf