[VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Wed Mar 18 09:10:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:25:51AM -0400, Ron Hooper wrote:
> Kenneth
>
> Lets completely forget Marshall's proposal for a minute. Since we
> have established that you are very experienced on HF assisted operation, do
> you agree the same HF assisted category could be applied to VHF contest? If
> not, what changes would you make to the assisted VHF contest category so it
> would apply?

There are already categories in the ARRL VHF contests that can use assistance
in the traditional sense of the term - the two multi-operator categories.
There are HF contests without single-op assisted categories (the ARRL 10 Meter
Contest and the IARU HF World Championships, for example).  In those contests,
if a single-op decides to watch packet spots, they are only eligible to enter
the multi-operator category.  The exact same thing can be done in the ARRL VHF
contests now.  If you operate as a single-op, but make a passive use of the
spotting network, you can enter as M/L or M/U.

Should there be a true "single-operator assisted" category for the ARRL VHF
contests the way there is for some (but not all) major HF contests?  I guess
my concern would be that the further fractioning of the single-operator
category would result in so many categories for so few participants that it
makes the competition less interesting.  The fact that there are very popular
HF contests that do not have single-op assisted categories also suggests to me
that they are not necessary for the health of a contest.

But this particular argument began, not with a discussion of the passive use
of spotting networks on VHF, but Marshall's use of the term "assistance"
to refer to the active use of non-radio networks to make QSOs, something that
I hope the VUAC rejects for all participants in VHF radio contests.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/