[VHFcontesting] Greasing aluminum crank-up

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 10:08:40 PDT 2009

So I'm in full rover-prep mode for the last few weeks, and this
weekend got around to the rear crank-up pole which top section had
ceased to operate near the end of the September 'test. This not being
the first time it jammed, I figured one of the screws that hold the
track to the pole had come loose. With the help and tools of Steve
KF6AJ we got it taken apart yesterday, releasing the mangled screw and
restoring movement. I've cleaned up the damage with a file, and am now
getting ready to put it all back together.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on what grease might me the best
to use on aluminum-aluminum bearing surfaces. The designers provided
an area on the bottom bearing that looks made to pack with grease .. I
used a regular lithium all-purpose grease last time I had it apart but
I notice that it didn't hold up very well, especially on the outer
(lower) segments.

de w1rt/john