[VHFcontesting] Hilltop or portable nets to stir up activity

Todd Sprinkmann sprinkies at excel.net
Mon Mar 30 18:53:51 PDT 2009

   KC9BQA here from EN63.  I was emailing the other night with a ham that
checked into one of my 2 meter nets.  He came up with an idea I thought was
just brilliant.  Since I've only been on the air since later 2003, I have no
idea if this has ever been done before.

   This ham is now limited to attic antennas, but he was wondering out loud
about going out and hosting 2 meter nets from various hilltop locations.  I
hope he ends up doing it.  I hope this email spurs others to do the same.

   How does this have to do with contesting?  It would help contesting on
many fronts.

   1)  It would stir up activity in general.  More activity = more potential
contesting interest.  Dead VHF bands are a tough sell.  To find those who are
on the fence, or those who have turned off their rigs,  regular chances to
play radio are key.

   2)  By running nets from various hilltops, it would expose more guys in
distant, out-of-the-way locations to regular, on-air activity.  Those
stations in turn, would feel more included.  They'd also become more
VHF-aware.  Ask guys in the sticks how tough it is to stay interested in
VHF'ing.  They might be more inclined to stay active if there were more
chances to play radio in general.  Not just during contests.

   3)  Running nets as a portable station would be a natural opportunity to
talk up roving.  More roving defnitely = better contests.

   4)  Running hilltop/portable nets would be a great opportunity to take
along a potential rover.  The potential rover wouldn't have to take a whole
weekend -- just an evening -- to get a taste of how much fun it is to operate
from a high, quiet place and hear lots of action.  We can never have enough
rovers.  Recruting and encouraging them is a high priority.

   5)  We're heading into better propagation and into contest season.  This
is a natural time to "fire up" in general.

   73,
   Todd  KC9BQA  EN63ao   40 N of Milwaukee