[VHFcontesting] Not Going Quietly

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sat May 2 20:12:56 PDT 2009

I'm not going quietly.

After selling my Icom IC-910H and some other VHF related items, some seem to have the mistaken impression that I've given up the chase. Turned my back on the challenge of the high bands, and crawled back to a mundane life of 20 Meter DX Chasing.

The rumors have swirled that even that childish pursuit has been limited to "DX Nets". Some have speculated that I might have even retreated to Citizens Band, warning my fellow travelers of "Bears In The Air" and "County Mounties". Well, to quote Twain, the reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Let me be clear, my fellow VHF Men. I have the full blown, H1VUCC1 Grid Chasing Flu and there is no vaccine. In fact, I've foregone hand washing and have progressed to trying to deliberately infect unsuspecting amateurs with the disease. I've given away 2M loops, loaned out my spare sideband rigs, given away hardline, and even lied outright about how difficult chasing DX is on the high bands.

This June, I'm going roving for the first time and taking any other drastic measures necessary to achieve 2M VUCC. If that fails, I may sell my house and just move into the RV full time. I could always attach a crank up tower to the back and park it on Cheaha Mountain!

So, please for the sake of my sanity. Stop spreading these lies. Listen for that weak signal with the attic full of weak signals, or track my APRS signal in the June Contest as I try roving for the first time. You bums will just have to learn to live with me. I love this stuff and can't believe that I wasted decades of my amateur career on HF. E-Skip season is here. The Magic Band is open. Those wonderful hot days of summer and contests and tropo are just ahead.

Quit now? Have you lost your minds??????!!!!!!!

VHF MEN DO IT WITH MORE FREQUENCY!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf