[VHFcontesting] Gene's last column and other musings

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Mon May 4 16:21:05 PDT 2009

Hello to all on the VHFContesting list......I felt compelled to comment
on these two posting.....they seem to be saying the same thing but with
different reasons.

1)Distilling Les' post......WSJT is good and we should do it more
often.  I agree.  You can work a lot of "rare" grids during the contest
using meteor scatter and WSJT.   Or you can work JT65b EME, even with
"small" stations, you can make contacts.

FYI:  Most everyone uses FSK441 in the contests on all bands.  On 6M,
during non-contest times, you will hear both FSK441 and JT6M.

What Gene said in his column about a 100W station making contacts is
true....it IS almost a "gimmie" PROVIDED you are talking about 6M.  It
gets harder on 2M and MUCH harder above that.  I don't think Gene made
that clear.

ASIDE:  I was one of the big Multi-Multi stations that did not make a
QSO with Les on 2M.  I got one sequence from Les with about 15 complete
sets of calls.  That was it.  After 30+ minutes of calling
him.....nothing.  On 2M, I run 2 x 17el at 160ft and high power.  I
still could not work Les.  Just no cooperative "grains of sand".

2)Distilling Jordan's post.....WSJT is great and I spend a lot more time
active because of it.  COOL....

No one can deny that WSJT has created tons of new activity on different
bands with different modes.  All my VHF life, I have spent time(and
money) promoting activity.  I just hated it that WSJT destroyed the EME
that I knew and loved from the 70's and 80's.  But JT65b has CREATED
tons and tons of activity in its place.  From stations all over the
world....large and small.  If the moon is up, you can work them.....you
don't have to wait for some "grains of sand" to burn up and give you a
meteor trail.

Is this improvement???  Some will say no, but the huge majority have
voted with their feet.....they have run to embrace WSJT.  Activity is
King.....activity trumps everything else.....and WSJT has created that
activity.

So, look for the K5QE Multi-Multi station in the June contest.  We will
be running WSJT on 6M and 2M during the late night hours from 1430Z
onward(9:30PM Sat night--earlier if the bands are "dead"--we may do some
6M MS on Sunday afternoon too).  We operate on 50.268MHz and will be
calling CQ there and on 50.260 UP 8.  On 2M, we will be operating on
144.142MHz.  We will call CQ there and on 144.140 UP2.  Listen for us
and give us a call.

After the moon rises at 0530Z on Sunday(12:30AM Sunday middle of the
night!!!!), we will be on 144.142MHz Second sequence using JT65b EME.
Even small stations can work us on rising moon as K7CE found out in
Jan.  He had only a single medium length yagi and worked us on his
rising moon easily.  If you are East of us, you may need to get a little
elevation in order to work us, but that is not hard....just put a piece
of pipe through your tower and put a vertically polarized anetnna on
each side.  With 2 x 9el or better you can work us too.  It is just not
hard anymore.  If anyone is interested in this, write me off the
reflector and we can work it out.

I also encourage everyone to give WSJT a try....especially on 6M and
2M.  Conditions are different between the two bands(this is a
surprise???), but it is a lot of fun too.  This Wednesday night, I am
going to give a demonstration of 6M WSJT meteor scatter to the
Nacogdoches Amateur Radio Club.  If any of you 6M "rock hounds" are
around, you might look for us on PingJockey.  We will probably start the
demonstration about 8PM local time.  We will be running 100W and a 3el
beam.  I just want to show the club members how much fun this really is.

73 to all and good VHF contesting.....Marshall K5QE