[VHFcontesting] Fw: Re: Picking a Bone With Gene

Bill W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Tue May 5 18:07:30 PDT 2009

I understood, and still do understand, what Gene was saying in his column and
what he was not saying. I never had any mindset that he was "anti-WSJT" or
anything else like that. However, speaking as an extensive user of WSJT/FSK441
for meteor scatter work, and speaking also as an Elmer who has helped many to
get into this aspect of amateur radio, I have to take some issue with the
assumption Gene makes -- that is,

"... FSK441 digital contacts ... while somewhat more difficult to set up,
technically utilize the skill of Joe Taylor, K1JT, as a software author to
complete. Given even a very modest station - 100 W to a small beam - most of
your WSJT contacts are guaranteed if the other station shows up."

In my opinion, this statement misrepresents the reality of meteor scatter work
using WSJT/FSK441.

In the first place, it tends to give credence to the widespread belief that WSJT
is somehow an "automatic" or "computerized" mode requiring little participation
by the operator. In the case of meteor scatter work using WSJT/FSK441, nothing
could be further from the truth. FSK441 is a "dumb" protocol containing no
forward-looking error correction, array-space collection and averaging, etc.,
etc. A keen understanding of meteor scatter physics and of the limitations of
the FSK441 software are absolutely required for optimum results, and I can tell
you as a fact certain that those who do not have these skill sets do NOT get
good results trying to work MS. I can also tell you that most newbies have to be
handheld through many contacts before they can manage even the most elementary
contact on their own without screwing it up. :-)

Second, the last sentence in the quotation above is manifestly untrue. A
100-watt station with a 3-element yagi can make MS contacts, but this is about
the minimum configuration that can be thought of as viable even in a casual
operation environment, let alone a contest environment. While such minimal MS
setups can generally be guaranteed successful scheduled QSOs with the Big Gun
contest stations, anything beyond that takes a lot of work and patience. Based
on my own experience with stations running this level of setup from their homes,
I would say that easily 75% of their QSO attempts using FSK441 are unsuccessful.
The real number may be even higher.

I don't think WSJT contacts need to be "down-weighted" because they are so easy,
because they are NOT so easy. And if you also take into account that it can take
as long as half an hour or more to complete one QSO on MS compared to "run
rates" of three and four QSOs a minute on SSB during a hot Es opening, the idea
seems absurd to me that WSJT QSOs need to be "penalized". If anything, they need
to be weighted higher because of their difficulty.

Bill W5WVO