[VHFcontesting] Digital mode planning and setup for this VHF contest season

James French w8iss at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 6 18:36:25 PDT 2009

OK, everyone. I will change the topic slightly here and hopefully
break this thread about Gene's comments....:)

First, I would like to know what frequencies are monitored for ANY
digital mode contact during the contests?

Second, what is the preferred mode other than using WSJT - JT6, PSK31,
64, Throb? HAS anyone tried these other digital modes with any success?

The reason I ask the second question is that I have timing issues with
the computers I have and can't keep them cinched enough for WSJT..:(
(and DON'T tell me to go get another computer unless you want to GIVE me
a newer one)

W8PGW is only a modest contest station that does pretty good for what we
have to use. I would like to add more digital modes as we can and have
tried to schedule slots for these modes without much luck so far. We
have heard a few stations - K8GP and a couple of others last year. Even
received that station doing EME last year. But no luck in making that
return path for any of them...:( Maybe this will be the year of the
Digital contest!!!!!

If we start EARLY enough, we can ALL make those extra contacts and NOT
grip...<L>

Any suggestions and or pointers would be appreciated.

James W8ISS
Late night/Early morning operator for contest station W8PGW