[VHFcontesting] Log Periodic Antenna Performance?

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Fri May 8 15:38:45 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group, but I thought I would weigh in.   I would think simply putting up the same type of antenna as your neighbor did would yield better results on 6 and 2 than the indoor antennas.   The lower gain LPDA's have about 7 db gain and are very broad band.    As I said in the beginning , I would put up a similar setup as your neighbor, but buy the LPDA TV antenna, and using the same aluminum , rebuild it into a 6, 2, and 440 Mhz yagi-uda.   You should be able to get a nice "long boom" TV LPDA with enough room for at least 4 or 5 elements on 6, then add in a the 7 elements for 144, and the 21 elements on 70cm, and that antenna will still look like a TV antenna.  Heck, it would even work pretty well to receive TV signals, better than rabbit ears anyway.      While you are at it, instead of using a metal pole on the rotor, use a fiberglass pole, and "tape" a 6,2,70cm jpole antenna to it so you have an outside antenna for local FM work or omni work.   If you don't need the antenna as a TV antenna, just forget about the A/B switch.   I like you're idea about using hard-line , maybe not necessary depending on your run.

Anyway, just a few other thoughts.

Paul Decker (KG7HF)