[VHFcontesting] Log Periodic Antenna Performance?

Sebastian w4as at bellsouth.net
Fri May 8 15:55:28 PDT 2009

Les, I'm not an attorney, but I would guess that most probably your
neighbor was able to erect the outdoor TV antenna because it was a
RECEIVE ONLY antenna.  I believe the same federal law allows the use
of 18" satellite dishes because they are also receive only.

Here's what I would do.  I would go ahead and put up a similar heavy
duty mast and rotor, except that I would put up something like an ELK
antenna, which is typically used for handheld satellite antennas.  The
ELK is an LPA used on 2 meters and 440 mhz.  And it's actually a
little smaller than an average TV antenna.  Note that you will need to
use star washers, otherwise the elements, because of the way they are
mounted, will loosen very quickly.

I think that would make a tremendous difference from your indoor
antennas, especially if you can get the same height your neighbor has
on their TV antenna.  If no one complains, I would then put up a
similar system on the other side of the house, with a small 6 meter
yagi and 1.2 ghz antenna.

Leave those up for a while.  See if anyone complains.  If anyone asks,
tell them you decided to watch over the air tv, no one will be the
wiser.  I wouldn't be using 7/8 hardline for this, try getting some
coax that you can fit INSIDE the pole, and have a hole so you can fish
it out from the top & bottom, to make it less conspicuous.

If you signed a covenant when you bought the property, you will
probably be out of luck getting any type of tower on your property.
You would probably have to run for a position in your association, and
then maybe make an exception for yourself, or if you're in there, then
you can talk with the rest of the board and work with an attorney.

I personally would not start by trying to get permission for a 'huge'
45 tower; while that would be the ultimate, I would start out slowly,
and see if anyone complains!  An ELK will cost you about $100 and you
can just grab a cheap TV type rotor at Radio Shack, but I'm sure you
already have at least one rotor.

I also like what Paul (KG7HF) suggested, looks like we think alike.

73 de W4AS
Sebastian