[VHFcontesting] Log Periodic Antenna Performance?

Wa3hmk at aol.com Wa3hmk at aol.com
Sat May 9 06:34:15 PDT 2009

Les:

      Depending on the construction of your home,  you may or may not see
too much of a difference.  The exterior LPA will  have substantially less
gain than the single band antennas, but if your roof has  lots of flashing,
metal sheathing, etc., the LPA in the clear may do  better.  Only way to know
for sure is to try it.
     Here is the URL for the FCC info:
_http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html_ (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html)
     Note that there is a 12' restriction above the  roof-
     You mentioned a log periodic.  As I  interpret the FCC mandated
reasonable accomodation for over the air TV reception  there is nothing to
prohibit "single channel" yagi antennas for "local"  area reception.  If you mount
a single antenna for each (channel)  band, you can certainly argue that it
is within the FCC  parameters. You can do the math-channnel 2 is just above 6
mtrs,  etc.
      Interestingly, the FCC accomodation only  mentions local TV
reception.  If there is a more distant (TV) station that  carries programming not
available in the local area I would think you could  erect an antenna of
adequate size to receive that programming without  difficulty.
     In order to assuage any nasty neighbors, I  would suggest you start
slowly and work up to whatever you intend to do.   Obviously you will have a
TV, (or Icom 7000) in the shack to feed  the TV signal into (if necessary for
demo purposes).  There is nothing in  the accomodation that requires the
outdoor antenna to be connected to all of the  TV's in your home.
     If you get along well with your immediate  neighbors you might want to
run it by them first.  If the people near  you aren't upset, you're in a
much stronger position should some dimwit  down the street complain.  Also,
keep an accurate log!  I've  experienced situations where people have
complained that someone was interfering  with their TV, etc., when you were not even
home!  Good luck and good  DX!

                                                                    73,
                                                                    Chris
Patterson W3CMP

In a message dated 5/8/2009 4:28:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,