[VHFcontesting] WA4ZKO - 6m Spring Sprint wrap up

Jeff Thomas wa4zko at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 11:57:14 PDT 2009

4 QSOs, 3 Grids (EM79,EM89,EM68), 2 states (OH,IN). Claimed score of 12.

All easy contacts, just not very many locals on the airwaves. Again, another contest with no sign of anyone else on in Kentucky. No sign of anyone on in Tennessee.

Admittedly I wasn't around the radio much, maybe spent 20-30 minutes total. Did walk in and check the band from 2-3 times an hour during the first couple hours and it sounded dead each time I checked. A few folks came on after nightfall, but that was it.

6 meters never opened up. As such this sprint was limited to locals/semi-locals only. Needless to say with local activity probably barely a third of what it used to be, the pickings were pretty slim.

Hoping the June contest and Field Day will help stir things up some more. I've said before that I think the 6m Spring Sprint is held a few weeks too early.

Oh well, I did get to work the 100th anniversary special event station at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (W9IMS) on Sunday. That was a neat 6 meter contact.

73
Jeff
WA4ZKO