[VHFcontesting] Improving the Signal to Noise Ratio of Indoor Antennas

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu May 14 12:13:18 PDT 2009

In a scene that would be perfect for NBC's "The Biggest Loser", a little bit of exercise shaved ten's of decibels from my indoor antenna farm noise floor last night. It was already hot in the attic, but the sweat equity really paid off.

My special thanks to Jordan Arndt, VE6ZT, who provided the suggestions and was dead on about the potential for improvement. Also, my antenna guru Bill Olson, K1DY contributed to the effort as well. You can read all about how it was done, and look at the "before and after" noise plots for yourself on my
blog:

Big Iron: Chasing VUCC With Indoor Antennas
http://n1lf.blogspot.com/

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf