[VHFcontesting] VHF Simplex Test during June Contest Advice

Todd Sprinkmann sprinkies at excel.net
Thu May 14 14:05:56 PDT 2009

    Les, I wish you well with the AL ARES VHF simplex test.  I
hope it opens up some eyes and gets you some new contesters
and/or weak-signal ops.

   I just made a thorough post to my VHF/UHF blog today about
this topic.  It's long and geared toward beginners.  It's designed to
get someone with only an FM rig and an antenna comfortable with
trying out a contest.  For the new person, they would need some time
to digest it and re-read when time permits.

   For you experienced types, Points 1-9 might give you some ideas
about how to promote contesting to non-contesters.  From Point 9
down, it's all for total newcomers.

http://kc9bqa.com/?p=218

    This sort of thing really does work.  You could ask W9FZ/R, who
was shocked when he got to a new grid just outside of La Crosse in
the Jan VHF.  About a dozen FM'ers opened up on him, and Bruce
 was delighted.  :)

    In the Milwaukee area, we saw at least 15-20 new stations on
in January.  I sponsored small perpetual plaques for several groups,
provided they met certain criteria for overall activity and scores.
Three of the four groups met the criteria, and some little guns get to
hold a plaque until next January.

    Some of the FM'ers are already making SSB plans for this summer.
Adding bands and/or antennas and a few are making roving plans,
bless their hearts.

    I love contesting and especially BUSY contests.  I thought activity
was decreasing in my area, so I did something about it.  If the VHF/
UHF bands are too busy in your area, congratulations.  If not, know
that you can do something about it if you choose to.

    Anyone who wants to modify, edit or share my website posts is
welcome to.  Just about everything I put on http://www.kc9bqa.com
is focused on improving VHF/UHF and V/UHF Contesting.

    June VHF is 30 days away.  Now is the perfect time to get find
and encourage new VHF'ers.

    73,
    Todd   KC9BQA   EN63ao     40 N of Milwaukee
    http://www.kc9bqa.com   For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates