[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Tue May 26 17:29:35 PDT 2009

Les - You wrote:

"This may alter my own plans for the June contest. Can I now ask a
newbie question? If I chose to make contacts on higher bands such as
1.2 GHz or 10 Ghz but not submit them for points in my log, can other
stations still legally claim those contacts?"

This is a multilayered question. And there is lots of room for abuse.
Not by you, I am sure, but by others, looking for a loophole.
Personally I think that if you operate on 6 bands you should enter as
a Classic Rover, otherwise, you are trying to have your cake and eat
it too, that is have the fun and challenge of operating on as many
bands as you have, and only competing with those who operate four
bands. While there may not be a rule against this, there certainly is
a rule against using these bands to increase your score on the lower
bands. So if you contact someone on 1296 or 10 GHz and then move them
to one of the 4 limited rover bands, your limited score has benefited
from you operating other bands and you are required to enter as a
Classic Rover.

One problem in HF contesting is not declaring what category you want
to enter the contest in, operating such that you have a couple of
options, looking at the 3830 scores or logs received, and then
selecting the category you have the best chance of winning after the
contest is over. This is not the best way to encourage or reward
competition. In the HF contesting world that practice is considered
opportunistic, predatory, shady, and sometimes unethical. I am sure
that you would not do this, but others may, and that is why it is best
that no one do it.

But my real interest in your question is why, if you have a well
equipped six band rover, would you want to enter in the four band
category? Is it not better to step up to the heavier competition of
the Classic Rover category rather than try to best those that are not
as well equipped as you are?
My opinion, and I have recently wrestled with this dilemma. More on
that in a subsequent post. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey