[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

Christopher Burke burke166 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:53:47 PDT 2009

Now we'll have to excuse Nate while he ices his thumbs after typing that
manifesto on his iPhone  :-).

For what it's worth, though, I agree.  Note the we're not complaining that
the League moved "too fast."  Au contraire, mon frere - if the League had
moved fast enough to have the changes incorporated into the 2009 rules the
first time they were published, there wouldn't be an issue.  The problem is
the rules were published then changed.  That's not cool.  Also 222, 902, and
1.2 GHz are all equally within the range of the beginning rover using out of
the box equipment - one might argue that 1.2 Ghz is actually, in fact,
easiest since you can get an all-mode without using a transverter while on
902 and 222 you're limited to FM only without transverters.  Not to say that
222 FM isn't fun during a contest - it's a hoot.

It's annoying that the rules keep getting messed with to combat some
perceived grid circling problem in a way that's akin to grabbing a fistful
of darts and throwing them all at a target hoping that one or two stick.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, rovers who have nothing to do with the
"problem" are affected by the rule changes.  This one is poorly written to
boot - you can't even operate on another band, making it way more
restrictive than Limited Multiop.  Is that _really_ what they intended?

The worst part about this rule change, though, is that here were are
debating the whole thing again!  If the League had been a little more
considerate they would have implemented it while the post-contest rover
rules debate and hand-wringing was already in progress, thus sparing
everyone from reliving the same argument an extra time this year.  ;-)

73!  Chris N9YH

--
Chris Burke
chris at n9yh.com