[VHFcontesting] Grid Circling numbers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed May 27 13:06:23 PDT 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:00:40 -0700 (PDT), "John Geiger"
<aa5jg at yahoo.com> said:

> We have seen recent posts concerning the controversy surrounding grid
> circling, how everyone feels it is unfair, how it alienates rovers, etc,
> but can anyone actually support this?  Has a poll been run of VHF contest
> operators?  Do we really know how many consider grid circling a problem?
> Or how many rovers consider it a problem or feel alienated?  I feel we
> might be surprised at how few actually believe it is a problem.
>
> 73s John AA5JG

I could care less if someone wants to circle...

If they suddenly decide to drive out of California into the Rocky Mtn
Region, the region's usual individual rovers would HAVE to band together
and fight back... but otherwise, I'm shooting (when I bother to rove,
which I have little motivation to do right now with the "shifting sand"
rules changes that pop up 3 weeks before contests) for Division scores,
not national.

I know the limitations of where I live, Geographically, and know that
the only reason I might hit a national score level as a rover someday
from here is if half the coastal rovers were hiding from tornadoes or
hurricanes or something.  There's nothing that can make a Colorado rover
competitive with the national rankings like circling can, realistically.
 I've done the math.  The coasts will always win.  If they are naturally
moving from individual efforts to team efforts (circling, pack roving,
whatever)... it really doesn't surprise or bother me.

Nate WY0X
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com