[VHFcontesting] the new LSDCQC

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 17:48:47 PDT 2009

Jim you are technically correct. The grid circling dance has somewhat ended.  However the bunch in California has since roved in a caravan working QSOs that are in the vast majority with them selves.  When the team members turn in logs with the nearly identical number of QSOs and multipliers as the other members then there is an issue.  An issue that can only be proven by shining the light of day on the logs.  An issue you boys resist. If you are proud of your efforts produce the logs. If the ARRL is proud of their contest make the logs available to members.  Otherwise it is a big political farce on several levels.
I apologize for calling them grid circlers, I will suggest calling them the lunchbox station distance challenged QSO  caravan.   OR the LSDCQC
The group you participated with would now be stupid to grid circle the old way because you would max out the qsos before you had the opportunity to max out the grid squares.  The group had all nearly identical multipliers amongst tem members even though some limited rovers were on different bands.
THE RULES HAVE MADE IT EASIER FOR YOU GUYS. Now your whole pack can enter one square and max out the multipliers working each other and move to the next. You don’t have to seek an exact corner anymore because you would run out of multipliers before QSOs.  A simple south to north run up I-5 should work quicker.
If the group activated 12 grids then that’s 48 mults per limited rover.  That’s why the gear in a caravan is split up so the traditional rover would get all 10 multipliers now just from other sources.  So a limited would offer 48 grids on low bands while another limited in the caravan would offer 48 grid multipliers on higher bands.
This must sound confounding to a non rover. But this is how convoluted its getting!  That’s why a fix with a limited percentage or rover to rover contacts is needed.  This rule would re-enforce the stated encouragement to work as many stations as possible rule in the vhf contest.
I put up the log summaries as antidotal evidence of my position last fall or early this spring.