[VHFcontesting] How many people are affected by the new rule change?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed May 27 22:37:36 PDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 6:57 PM, James Duffey wrote:

> If I look at the Classic Rover scores, which has larger numbers of
> participants, and hence better statistics, it looks like there are
> more QSOs made in the contest on 222 MHz than on 1296 MHz. You have to
> go all the way down to the 15th place finisher before you find someone
> with more QSOs on 1296 MHz than 222 MHz. So on the face of it, it
> seems like choosing 1296 over 222 MHz may be a poor strategy.  This
> makes sense, as it is a lot cheaper to generate power on 222 MHz than
> 1296 MHz.

Duffey, this may be a "regional" thing... but looking back at my 2006
and 2007 logs, I have FAR more contacts on 1.2 GHz around here than on
222.  The fixed stations have 1296 here instead of 222.  It shows up
in the Sprints too, from what I hear.  222 night is utterly dead.

No idea why, but I know it's easier to bounce 1296 off of Mt. Evans
and Pikes Peak and the rest of the Front Range from Eastern Colorado
than it is to bounce 222 off of them.  Might be a function of terrain
and how the terrain gets "utilized"... but that's maybe a reach with
no backing.  Bouncing off of the 14'ers is a very common practice for
extending range out here, as you know... Denver to Cheyenne with
modest power and antennas on 2m is "difficult" for many stations, but
the old-timers point out that if both stations point at Pikes... done
deal.  Works every time.

I don't think I've ever worked another rover with 222 other than Eric,
KR0VER (with his awesome Rover callsign! - Hi Eric, I know you're
reading along!)... certainly not any others with anything more than a
vertical 1/4 wave and an FM rig.

Last year there was a "part-time" rover who popped up near Longmont
that all the multi-ops attempted to work who was using something that
was VERY deaf on 223.5 FM.  We all blew huge power at him with
directional antennas, and could copy him fine, but he needed five or
six calls to respond at all to any of the fixed stations, including
all the usual "big guns" with bigger power than us at W0KVA.  Took a
while... but we all got him eventually... we had to bounce between him
and Eric who was madly dashing to his last couple of grid squares on
Sunday... kept things entertaining at the multi-op.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate at natetech.com