[VHFcontesting] Think outside of the box boys.. you too jim...

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 15:41:40 PDT 2009

Ok jim you traveled with the group, invite them to publish the logs.

If someone knows where a log is, post it.  I will certainly look at it and if has a percentage of rover to rover qsos less then what the VUAC, who represented us suggested then I will certainly state that that station is a fair competitor.

So there you go Jim, you want me to shut up.  You are friend with one of the groups, invite them to post their logs and end this controversy.  Its in your hands.  they know the controvery, they speak of it online, they can address it.

This being said I do know that some of them got up to 40-50 percent of the QSOS outside of the caravan or grid circling tam back before the change to 3 rover classes.  And if YOU take the time to dig it up you will see I complemented them on their efforts.

It was a case that I thought peer pressure might of worked, then they did what they did with 3 rover classes.  Their problem is not primarily with me or the others who cry foul.  Its with the ARRL. Wayne’s abuse of the rules or lack of following what many think the spirit were was him bringing  the ARRL more of a headache because they did not stop the captive roving.

I am just a reactionary pawn in his game with the ARRL because he got his hat handed to him when he gallantly went out and tried to compete in the east coast.  It was after that when Wayne went to the dark side in my book.  Before that he was an inspiration to me via his web pages. Similar to the noble efforts of N0DQS who I still respect.

You can see what I put together on QRZ under my call, you can see my soap box on last September’s contest soapbox.  I’m no hack but I’m no microwave expert either.  I have done a lot to bring people into this part of the Hobby.  I have created an award system with my other board members to find another incentive to get people on the air.

That being said what do we do as hams that takes a lot of bandwidth over 10 ghz? Or 2.4ghz?  Are we hoping for 2.4 ghz repeaters and factory gear?   We have always been servants to the nation as hams.  Why are we hogging spectrum that we don’t use and using car to car qsos 200 feet apart in hwy 395 outside of Pahrump NV to justify it?  Is this the intellectually correct legacy we want to leave to our grand children.

Do we really need more than a 500kc to a MHZ up there?  Is there any amateur tv up there?   If so is it doing more than sending pictures of garden gnomes to friends?
What if what we are taking can be used for be good of mankind?  Wasn’t that how we started?

Maybe we should find real justification to keep those bands.  Maybe we are. I’m no genius, but I challenge those with the ability to do so.  Technology is passing us by where we once were the leaders.  That’s why we can’t get boy scouts to join.  We were too focused on the purity of CW to develop something like texting.  If one of the mad guys on here doesn’t kill me by 70, I will have no one to talk to anyway.  Think outside of the box boys…..