[VHFcontesting] Useful rover tips for the new guys

N6FD n6fd at mchsi.com
Fri May 29 17:19:28 PDT 2009

You can see the transport for my Single-Op Portable here:
http://n6fd.home.mchsi.com/index.html

I have the antennas mounted to a 4x4 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood with a
pipe mount.  I transport all the antennas fully assembled.  At the
portable site I pile dirt or rocks onto the plywood to keep the antennas
from  blowing over.  This works in at least 40 MPH winds.  I have ropes
for tying the antennas to the truck during transport, and would use
those for guys if the winds got stronger.

The 50-144-222-432 antennas are mounted on one mast, and the 902-1296
loopers are on another.  I find that in operating I use mostly the first
mast and only use the second when I find someone with those bands.  This
saves a lot of wear and tear on the armstrong rotor.

73, Erich N6FD