[VHFcontesting] 2 meters 48 states terrestrial

kevin kaufhold kkaufhold at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 07:35:07 PST 2009

I have updated the lists for 2 meter, 48 states terrestrial activity.  While the focus is on the Midwest area where achieving 48 states terrestrial is possible, I also have lists for the NE, SE, and Western regions.  The summary file containing the lists of ops who are close to 48 states via terrestrial means is available at:

http://www.w9smc.com/SMC%20VHF/2%20Meter%2048%20States%20Summary.pdf

If anyone is at 40 states + in the midwest, or 30+ from either coast, please send me a note, and I will include you in the next update. We are now up to 14 people known to have worked 48 states terrestrially, but there are dozens more on the lists that are close.

I also want to thank the Society of Midwest Contesters, Central States VHF Society, ARRL and W3ZZ, and CQ VHF and N6CL for publishing articles on this subject. With each article, more material, lists, maps, and historical references have been added to this interesting topic.

I also have a short biblio contained in the above link, if anyone has an interest in reading about the exploits of the VHF pioneers in this area.  I would be especially interested in receiving any info from people with first hand knowledge of the early efforts at achieving 48 states on 2 meters, as vast distances were worked by many people having modest equipment.

Kevin
W9GKA