[VHFcontesting] SteppIR on 6m

Jon Casamajor k6el at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 15:12:23 PDT 2009

Doug,

I am fairly new to VHF contesting having just started a year ago in the
September event so keep that in mind. I use the 3 el SteppIR + the passive
element on 6m. It flies at about 73'. Above it is a 2m12, a 402-CD 2 ele 40m
and 11x11 stack on 432. You can see a shot of the stack on my QRZ page.

I run 100W on 6m. My results have been good with the 3 el and it has easily
surpassed my expectations as a first 6m antenna. I'm sure that a long boom
wide spaced Yagi or two would be much better but the little SteppIR
certainly is no slouch. I've worked everything I can hear and have something
over 150 grids on 6 worked. I've been able to work a couple of JA's, 4 KH6
and a KL7.

I also should mention that I live in what appears to be THE 6m Black HOLE
here in Northern California and can only wish for the number of Q's I see
from north, south and east of me in contest openings.  So far the openings
in contests have been few and far between and even double hop from here is
pretty rare. I am very happy with the performance and would be even happier
if we could get a break on openings now and then!

Regards,

Jon-K6EL

CM99br

k6el at comcast.net