[VHFcontesting] Rover/EMCOMM Vehicle Visibility

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Mon Sep 14 12:38:36 PDT 2009

Amateurs who operate "Rover" in VHF/UHF Contests, and those who operate mobile response vehicles for emergency communications deployments should pay particular attention to their safety while on the road. For some great suggestions on how to improve your chances of not being involved in an accident, you may want to read a new study just released by the United States Fire Administration (USFA), in partnership with the International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA), and supported by the US Department of Justice.

Emergency Vehicle Visibility and Conspicuity Study  (PDF, 2.2 Mb).

According to the study, numerous law enforcement officers, firefighters, and emergency medical services (EMS) workers have been injured or killed along roadways throughout the US over the past decade. While I'm not aware of any serious injuries to amateur radio operators, most of us who operate mobile can share stories of many "close calls".  The study discusses the importance of addressing emergency vehicle characteristics and human factors to reduce injuries and deaths.

The key findings of the study were:
·         Retro reflective materials hold greater promise for enhancing the conspicuity of emergency vehicles.
·         Being visible and recognizable are important facets of emergency vehicle conspicuity.
·         Contrasting colors can assist drivers with locating a hazard amid the visual clutter of the roadway.
·         Fluorescent colors offer higher visibility during daylight hours.

The following are the key recommendations of the study:
·         Outline vehicle boundaries with "contour markings," using retro reflective material.
·         Concentrate retro reflective material on lower half of emergency vehicles.
·         Use fluorescent retro reflective materials in applications where a high degree of day/night time visibility is desired.
·         Use retro reflective material on law enforcement vehicles on rear to maintain stealth when facing traffic or patrolling.
·         Apply distinctive logos or emblems with retro reflective material to improve emergency vehicle visibility and recognition.

To that, I'd add another suggestion. When operating rover, I always wear a bright yellow "safety vest" sold at Lowes, Home Depot and similar stores. It includes the highly reflective 3M materials that seem to almost "glow" under headlights. I wear this vest even when parked...so that if I suddenly exit the vehicle during the action of a contest, I don't have to remember to put it on.

I consider myself a very safe operator/driver, but recognize that I get caught up in the furor of operating and might make a mistake. I've also got a set of yellow flashing "caution lights" that I use on the truck whenever I'm storm spotting, or driving in poor weather conditions.

Thanks to the EMR-ISAC for summarizing the report, most of the content of this e-mail is theirs. The study is well worth reading, and might save your life.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park