[VHFcontesting] Rovers attracting the Authorities

Bill Burgess ve3cru at rac.ca
Fri Sep 18 17:08:34 PDT 2009

I have been roving 7 years now, and have never had any confrontations with authorities at sites.  Running three 18 foot K1FO's plus 6 meter beam and loopers for higher bands on a Ham IV rotator on the roof is hardly inconspicuous.  Been as far east as Mt. Greylock MA FN32 and as far south this year as Lynchburg VA FM06.

For markings, the vehicle contains normal license plates/markers, plus the ARRL magnetic signage saying Radio Communications with added call lower on front doors and below rear license plate.  On my person is one of my golf shirts used at Dayton with VE3CRU and Bill on the front, and VE3CRU ROVER on the rear.  I favor the red shirt as my "stopsign" shirt as it makes me most visible to those around me.

I avoid parking near the travelled portion of any road as the rotation of the beams will extend over the travelled portion of the road.   Have travelled with the 4218XL beam up, a 29 foot boom, which makes turning into traffic risky with busses and 18 wheelers so must always focus on the antennas.  The property from fencepost to fencepost on a roadway is municipal property, not the property of any landowner whos property is behind the fence.  I drive into the access area to property provided it is to fields and not residences, prepared to move if requested, that has yet to happen.

Always smile and acknowledge authority,so you do not catch their attention as suspicious.  Continually looking back at a stopped police vehicle will surely get you a visitor.   I do have a copy of my license as well as contest info in publications and have even carried a few plaques for the CQ WW VHF and tell any I chat with that it is like Radio Olympics, that they associate with.  Have handed out my qsl card with photo of vehicle and myself, US Customs officers like it as a keepsake.
Never had the vehicle entered and equipment serials checked, have Customs clearance cards ready too.

Hope those singled out will find ways to lessen interrogation.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R    usually FN02, 03, 04, 13, 14, EN92, 93 in contests