[VHFcontesting] Rover rules and criticisms

Jim Forsyth mail at jimforsyth.com
Sat Sep 19 12:07:47 PDT 2009

Bruce,

No disagreement from me.

When I operate in a category other than rover I get smoked by the guys back
east. It will always be that way because of their higher population density
and superior propagation. Why should I be in the same category as them?

Why should a five band station be in the same category as a six band
station?
Why should a 150 watt station be in the same category as a 180 watt station?
Why should a hill top station be in the same category as a valley station?
Why should a station that operates for 20 hours be in the same category as a
station that operates 12 hours?
Why should a station with big antennas be in the same category as a station
with small antennas?

Such questions are endless. Anybody can come up with reasons why they should
not be in the same category as somebody else. Should everybody have their
own category?

Everybody decides for themselves how they want to participate and the rules
determine what category they can enter in. In the case of you and me the
rules provide for us to enter in the same category. If you want to be in a
different category to me I believe you could enter as unlimited.

I don't know about you but for me this is a hobby and I only do it because
it is fun. I derive a great deal of enjoyment spending the occasional
weekend roving around the Mojave Desert with some of the worlds finest VHF
contest operators. If it wasn't fun I would find something else to do.

Jim, AF6O