[VHFcontesting] Inexpensive way to get onto microwaves?

Carrington, Walter Walter.Carrington at umassmed.edu
Sat Sep 19 13:30:58 PDT 2009

Are there any low cost options to get onto the bands above 1296?  I.e.,  cheaper than a DEMI transverter.
I'm line of sight to a number of rover and multiop portable sites (Mt. Wachusett, Pack Monadnock, Mt. Greylock) and close to line of sight to others.
I'm guessing that it wouldn't take much of a rig to work 6 or more stations in June and Sept on each band.  The minimum usable would be something that would allow me to work 65 miles line of sight.
CW only would probably be OK.
Homebrew SDR solutions would be really neat.
Any clever ideas out there?
--Walter, K1CMF