[VHFcontesting] ARRL rules and no exit interviews

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Sun Sep 20 14:50:55 PDT 2009

BRAVO Frank....a little disjointed(aren't we all), but well said.  The
grid circling and pack roving is a problem and no fix is in sight.

As everyone should know by now, I have been protesting the hijacking of
the EME contest by the Anti-Assistance / CW Forever crowd.  With the new
rule changes, the EME contest only has classes for the CW guys and the
Anti-Assistance guys.  There is no place for those of us that want to
operate Assisted.  My previous posts on this are on my web
site(www.k5qe.com)...just click EME Assistance on the left.

I will not be operating the ARRL EME contest this year, as there is no
class for me now.  I will be on EME whenever I can find the time, but I
will NOT operate  during the contest periods.  This will prohibit the
Anti-Assistance operators from working me and then claiming that I was
in the contest.  It will stop the Anti-Assistance ops from getting any
points from me.  After all, I have been excluded from their contest, so
they clearly don't need any help from me.  Essentially, all small
stations have been excluded as well.

I also suggest that each and every operator that has been discriminated
against by these new rules, write a letter to Sean (skutzo at arrl.org)
explaining why you did not operate this time.  It is VERY important that
you request that Sean forward your letter to the entire VUAC.

The most charitable face that I can put on the rule change process is
that the Anti-Assistance folks engaged in a propaganda campaign to
convince the VUAC members that the current setup was "the will of the
EME community".  The VUAC members that had no EME experience deferred to
those on the committee who did and allowed these changes to be pushed
through.  The new rules discriminate against the small stations...there
is no denying this.  Although I am not a small station, the new rules
force someone like me who likes to operate Assisted to either not
participate or to participate using methods that I hate.  A great choice!!

Again, being extremely charitable, one could say that the
Anti-Assistance people did not understand what they were doing to the
small stations.  They could say that it was an un-intended consequence.
On the other hand, it could be that they knew exactly what they were
doing.  One of the rabidly Anti-Assistance op actually said that if the
small stations want to be in the EME contest, they need to build up
their stations into a large station or just go away.  Real inclusive,
that.  It has also been pointed out to me that now, the EME contest is
the ONLY contest in the world where Multi-Multi contest stations cannot
look at the packet spots, reflectors, and other such sources at any time
during the contest.  They can't even LOOK!!!  The ONLY one.....

I believe that the logs submitted for this contest will be WAY down from
previous years.  We shall see.  As I pointed out in a previous post,
there were significantly more Assisted class entries than there were
Non-Assisted class entries.  Apparently, the ARRL belives that throwing
out over half of all the entries in the ARRL EME contest is the best way
to promote activity....NOT!!!

As always, rational discussion is welcomed.  Flames and rants -------->
bit bucket.

73 Marshall K5QE