[VHFcontesting] Slide Mtn NY FN21TX Sat May 1st

Andrew mennerich andrewmennerich at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 16:28:39 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

Andrew K2FR here.  I am going to be climbing Slide Mountain in the Catskills on May 1st for the International SOTA (summits on the air) weekend.
(http://www.sota.org.uk/)

I will be attempting to Activate Slide Mtn SOTA identifier W2/GC-001

For my activation I need 4 contacts while at the peak.

Why am I posting here?

I will be at 4200 feet of elevation with a clean line of side in ALL directions. I will be in grid FN21TX for those hunting grids.   I am going to be carrying my 2m Fm/SSB amp and an Arrow Antenna in hopes of contacting brother in PA on SSB,  Its about 140 miles line of site, and I am pretty sure we can do it.  I would like to line up other possible contacts at that distance or further.  I will not have 50 watts for very long so id like to have a couple of long contacts lined up.

I am planning on leaving home around 6am.  At the base at 8am, and hopefully at the peak by 10amEST.

I will have APRS running, but from the reports of fellow mountain topper,  there is no coverage until I get up high.  I will be trackable via K2FR-7(on the mountain)  and K2FR-9 while driving up (Pending coverage).  I will have my Frequency posted.  I am planning on going on 144.200.

If you might be around this coming Saturday morning and would like to try a contact, please shoot me an email so I have an idea of where you will be.  Obviously I will be taking calls from anyone I can hear while on the peak and while batteries last.  I only expect 10-15 min of amp power and I will then be QRP at 5 watts till my HT batteries die.

I will shoot out another email probably Thursday night to confirm that im 100% going.

I look forward to seeing who can be worked =)

Anderw M
K2FR