[VHFcontesting] Fiery end to UHF Contest at KK6MC/r

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 20:54:04 PDT 2010

After a modest rove and moderate success in the ARRL UHF contest, including more 1296 MHz contacts than I have ever made in a contest, my 2003 Subaru Outback used to house the rover caught fire south of Truth or Consequences on return to Cedar Crest. It is pretty much a total lost.

I was able to get my radios and other valuables out of the car before the fire really took off, but as I watched it burn I realized that I had not retrieved my contest logs. I was angriest then at the thought of an entire weekend's effort going for naught. But the logs survived, and although a bit soggy can be processed.

The fire was pretty much confined to the engine compartment. I am safe and uninjured. Several of the volunteer fireman were hams and were interested in the antennas.

I will summarize the contest in a later e-mail.

I am happy to be unscathed, but now I have to deal with two of the worst processes in the World, filing an insurance claim and buying a car. - Duffey
--
James Duffey KK6MC
DM65tc