[VHFcontesting] Flex 1500 PTT Output Keying

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Fri Dec 31 00:51:22 PST 2010

My lovely XYL Abby presented me with a brand new FlexRadio 1500 as a Christmas present this year. I’ve enjoyed playing with it over the past days, and have been amazed at what a difference it makes to to be able to “see” weak DX stations. Should be a blast to operate.

My primary intention for the rig is to use it as my primary 6 Meter radio, driving a 150 watt amplifier, and also as my primary IF rig, driving my three transverters. All of those are DEMI transverters with simple RCA type PTT switching. It looks like I’ll need to construct a FlexWire V2 DB9 connector to the rig, and use PIN 3 (PTT OUTPUT) and PIN 1 (GROUND) connected to an RCA male plug. My questions are this:

1.) Do I need to connect a diode (as suggested for relay closures) on this cable? If so, where should I place it?

2.) Any other caveats before I proceed with this experiment?

I’m also interested in hearing from others who’ve used the Flex 1500 for VHF work, and your general opinions on it. It seems a fine performer on HF. A bit sensitive to MW broadcast overload perhaps, but other than that, an amazing receiver. Can’t wait to try out the transmit functions now.

BTW, Happy New Year to all the VHF Men out there. I’m hoping 2011 will be the year that I complete 2 Meter VUCC (98 grids worked so far) and make a good start on 222 and 432 as well. Listen for the weak (indoor) ones!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf