[VHFcontesting] [Fwd: Use of negative voltage to reduce power with FT-847]

Bruce Herrick bdh at teleport.com
Thu Feb 4 08:46:39 PST 2010

I have never trusted that method.  In theory it works fine.  But...if the ALC fails, or the TIB or other source of negative voltage fails, or the radio puts out a high power spike as Eric mentions (and many do), it's back to the shop.

In my case, I dug into my IF rig, a TS-690S, and brought out the driver signal.  A relay switches it between the transverter and the rig's finals.  It's a simple mod, if you can find room on the rear panel for a couple of connectors.  I used SMAs, which don't take up much space.  I got the idea from an article written by Rus Healy, K2UA, in the January 2000 QST.  Although I implemented it a bit differently, the article is worth reading.

Good luck!

Bruce WW1M