[VHFcontesting] Preliminary - Rover Activity in the January 2010Contest

Eugene Zimmerman ezimmerm at erols.com
Sun Feb 28 13:50:30 PST 2010

Thanks for the data Duffey.

The maximum number of logs during this period 1992-2010 was 1219 in 1996. I
would therefore like to add an extra column % Total Log compared to the
maximum year 1996. The table now reads

Year	All	% Max 1996	Total Rover	% Rover	CR LR UR

2010	759	62	73	9.6	47  24  2
2009	649	53	58	8.9	41  12  5
2008	709	58	61	8.6	36  24  1   Rover Categories Added
2007	778	64	68	8.7	68
2006	793	65	67	8.4	67
2005	712	58	53	7.4	53
2004	834	68	93	11.2	93
2003	798	65	82	10.3	82
2002	802	66	72	9	72
2001	790	65	86	10.9	66
2000	820	67	48	5.9	48
1999	966	79	76	7.9	76
1998	1075	88	74	6.9	74
1997	1182	97	78	6.6	78
1996	1219	100	80	6.6	80	    Rover Scoring Changed
1995	1171	96	71	6.1	71	    Rover Scoring Changed
1994	1013	83	86	8.5	66
1993	1036	85	106	10.2	106
1992	958	77	79	8.2	79	    First Rover Class

Rather than comparing 2010 with 2009 I think we can see trends much better
if we look at the whole period since the rover class began,

For rovers the % of rover logs compared to total logs has been remarkably
constant through a number of rules changes. When the total number of logs
increases the number of rover logs increases more or less by the same
amount.  In any case the % of rover logs has shown no clear trend since the
class was initiated in 1992. As you correctly point out January rover
activity is weather dependent but it subtends less than a 2:1 ratio never
dropping below 5.9% or exceed 11.2% of total logs.

I think Duffey is spot on with the reasons why the unlimited rover is
languishing while the other classes are doing well.

Of more interest to me is the added column which shows the percentage of
total logs compared to the maximum number which occurred in 1996. Here the
total logs have declined significantly since 2000. Contrast this with the
activity in HF contests. The numbers I know are for the CQWW which had 6000
logs in 1996 and 10000 in 2009 the last year for which figures are
available. I'm sure the same is true for the ARRL DX and ARRL HF SS - Sean
Kutzko would know. During the past 12 years the amount of VHF ready radios
has increased enormously. Whereas the small do-everything radios did not
increase VHF activity much there is reason to believe that the new high-end
HF/6 meter radios like the K3 and all the ICOMs are beginning to make a
difference. In any case VHF contest activity is diminished in the last 13
years whereas HF contest activity has increased substantially.

Many on this reflector know why I think that has happened. On HF you can
have a lot of fun and turn in a score you won't be ashamed of with a pretty
limited station. That isn't so in any of the ARRL VHF contests. If you don't
provide some means for competitors to compete you won't get any logs.

73 Gene W3ZZ