[VHFcontesting] Disagreeable

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Sun Jan 3 08:07:19 PST 2010

My father used to say that "men of reason should always be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable". I fear that I haven't lived up that standard in our recent discussions. My apologies to the group and to individuals. Since I got started on VHF a couple of years ago, VHF Men on both these lists have given unselfishly of their knowledge, advice, and patience.

I'm grateful for all that I've received, and don't wish to offend.

Most of you know that I'm limited in my operations to indoor antennas and rover work because I live in an HOA neighborhood. I don't want that to be seen as my motivation for urging a compromise on this or any other issue. The Senate recently passed a bill that might offer some hope in that regard, and the house is now considering HR 2160, which I hope will also see swift passage.

Our purchase of this home three years ago came after my wife had her second back surgery, and could no longer manage our three story home. We searched for 18 months for a single story home that was within reasonable driving distance of my office. If you haven't had this experience recently, I can promise you that homes that are newer than about 10 years in age that do not have deed restrictions are impossible to find.

In our case, the nearest homes that met our criteria without HOA were another twenty miles of commuting each way to my office. My wife's health and comfort were a bigger factor that my enjoyment of the hobby, so I concentrated on finding a low noise spot instead. Once we had found a home, I read everything I could find on compromise antennas, and working around the issue. I think I've done reasonably well in that regard, and have tried to share my experience with other hams via my "Big Iron: Working VUCC On Indoor Antenna" blog.

Like many on this list, I read stories in QST for years about hams who faced these situations, and always thought "It's your own fault, why did you move into a home like that?" But I can tell you that life throws you curveballs you don't expect--and restrictions have become so commonplace that it's nearly impossible to avoid them now.

Any of us could find ourselves forced to move into a nursing home, condo, or even with our children---and face similar situations.

I have no desire to put up a monster tower with huge stacked arrays or the like, because I know that would be offensive to my neighbors, but I would welcome the chance to put up a modest antenna or two. Perhaps we'll see some legislation that will allow it. But regardless, I intent to stay active on VHF both with the attic antennas, and the rover. I hope that other hams will be inspired to do the same.

In many ways, VHF/UHF is a better choice for those of us in HOA situations. Smaller antennas are easier to hide! (ha, ha) Again, my apologies to the group.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park