[VHFcontesting] Higher bands

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 3 23:18:21 PST 2010

I disagree with Ev.

Since the Arrl uses the logs of contesters to demonstrate the band is in use when arguing about spectrum, the contest reflector is a relevant place to talk about these issues.  In the past several people have tried to end conversations on saying its not relevant.   My opinion is that the ARRL misrepresents the value of upper band contacts in an effort to justify its cause and it's spectrum fund.  I learned this after hashing out the rover issues, but this issue is bigger. Even my idea of a solution still allows thgis roving to continue.  I hgandle my issue by not sending logs.

Without the deflection or distraction of Rovers , the issue challenges the core issues of what it is to be hams. I like the idea of trading all but narrow slices of each band that will slightly affect the 10,000 of us who are or are thinking about going above 1.3 ghz to benefit the million of us under the threat of Antenna restrictions and interference.

The challenge thrown out there and not by me. Is what are we doing with it that is productive and not just line of sight QSOs for awards that mean little to anyone outside of our sub culture?  If there is something then lets develop it.  lets demonstrate it. lets become relevant to people outside of our own group.  After all relevancy is why the ARRL pays so much attention to the contests and members who enjoy the lower bands.

I'm going to present my thoughts and evidence to the sub committee members and lobbyists of what really happens for the majority of the high band QSOs, someone else needs to show them where I am wrong and why they need all the bandwidth on each band to utilize their activity.

Please someone do or demonstrate something that we are proud of, that can be done or used constantly by many hams at the same time and takes up more than a MHZ. That is the challenge of the future of these bands, or we should trade it for lower band security.  How about a 70 mhz expansion?

We look to washington DC and we can two sides of many issues who keep attacking things with a all or nothing approach.  I commend N1lF's idea as a logical approach to solve some bigger issues, without corporate threats on the lowe bands may allow for some expansion where wide spread communications is possible or economically feasible.  And N1LF quit beating on yourself for trying to find a solution/ Right or wrong its an idea that makes things better for ham radio as a whole.

k3uhf