[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Use It or Lose It

Doug Rehman doug at k4ac.com
Mon Jan 4 09:44:07 PST 2010

Before anyone starts trying to negotiate with corporations, take a look at
the actual uhf/microwave amateur allocations. We are secondary users on many
of these frequencies.

It appears that the government (FCC/NTIA/etc.) likes to use amateur
allocations as "place holders" for segments of the spectrum- we are very low
impact users on most of these bands and generally excellent at sharing.

It is also relatively easy for the government to clean up amateur
interference when they need to use spectrum that we have an assignment in
(think Pave Paws...). In contrast, look at the mess on 900 MHz with
unlicensed wireless systems- many are running FAR in excess of the allowed
power, causing massive RF pollution (ask 900 MHz repeater owners in any
major city); short of an EMP blast, I don't think there is any possibility
to clean that band up.

Doug
K4AC
To paraphrase Charlton Heston, From my cold, dead transmitter... (Hi Hi)