[VHFcontesting] Explanation

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:14:30 PST 2010

Someone asked

"Please explain how we would be better off by having no activity, than by
having occasional grid circling activity."

The idea is to trade away the majority of the upper spectrum for security of the lower bands and perhaps less restrictions that keep people from being active hams, such as CC&R's.  If such an idea came to life there is a great potential to keep more people in Ham Radio.  The more people in ham radio will mean more ARRL members which would mean more money to take on issues that matter to us.  If 10 percent of all hams get on ssb on 50 mhz and up then we will get more activity as more hams keep and use their licenses on the bands that most of us truly utilize.  It is a win-win situation.

The discussion little to do with grid circling, other than its the activity the ARRL uses to justify spectrum.  The proposal will leave a mhz on each band and the grid circlers will be left unharmed.  Grid circling is an issue of contest rules, not trading spectrum. They are not under attack here.

The true challenge out there is to use that spectrum in a manner that looks productive from people outside of our subculture.  As I said perhaps a year ago there may even need to need for the ARRL to push the FCC to allow hams to do more and be less liable for what's transmitted and who uses our upper spectrum.

What if Hams were allowed to use 3 ghz to set up free wireless networks  for non hams?  The we would be providing something to the community. I'm sure there are better ideas than this.  But if we don't use it, we will lose it and at least right now we might be able to trade it for something.

That being said, make some good contacts, make some amazing long distance contacts on those high bands.  Take pictures, write articles for the newspapers and show what can be done up there.

As someone else said, why leave those 10 band portable stations all over the country idol? Go out there and show them off from mountain top to mountain top on a non contest weekend.  Of course advertise it so others can work towards their awards.

k3uhf