[VHFcontesting] [Fourlanders] [nfarl] 2 Meter AM

Rogers, Ron RR124640 at ncr.com
Wed Jan 13 05:47:30 PST 2010

Since this is basically a question for 2M AM operation in the South East, I would first recommend looking at the current 2 meter band plan as established by the South Eastern Repeater Association (SERA) and recommended reference material by anyone in the SE when scoping out band usage guidelines. This is the reference >

  http://www.sera.org/2.html

You will notice that the segment of 144.300 - 144.500 is labeled as "Multi-mode" which would cover AM operation and stay away from the recognized beacon bands. At one time, part of this segment was a AMSAT downlink band for some of the early OSCARs but to my knowledge, there is no active birds operating in that segment now, with the exception of 1 frequency still being used as a ARISS uplink. Check here for the latest >

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/frequencies.php

But, remember that 144.39 MHz is the national APRS packet frequency.

I am aware of at least a couple of states still holding 2 meter AM nets and rag chews on 144.450 MHz. Given that none of the above references show any conflict with that frequency, I would recommend monitoring the frequency around the Atlanta area for awhile to see if there are any other users, other modes, etc. If you don't hear anything, try some QSO's there to see how it works for you.

If anyone copied here knows of a potential problem around Atlanta by using the 144.450 MHz frequency, please chime in.

Ron
WW8RR

W4NH Contesting Group
Member, SVHFS