[VHFcontesting] WSJT For Rovers

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Wed Jan 13 19:59:01 PST 2010

My experience is limited to using WSJT during the September VHF Contest...which was basically just a test to see if such operation was possible and practical from my rover.

The good news is that WSJT worked fine from my laptop, using a Signa-Link to dry the FT-817ND IF rig on 6 Meters and 2 Meters. Compared to my indoor antenna farm, the quiet clear spot near my home on Locust Ridge seemed like paradise. Without any schedule, I called CQ on 144.140 and 50.260 USB, and managed to work completely "random" unscheduled contacts on both bands.

I would not suggest even attempting WSJT while in motion, unless you have a driver. I do recall some successful contacts using 6M and 2M halos from mobile stations in some of the rarer "DM" grids last summer. Others did the same during the drive to Dayton too...so I know it can be done while in motion. For me, it's a great way to pass a few hours while parked on a high quiet spot.

In the January event, I have a few schedules made for the "wee hours" when local activity on all bands here is at a minimum. The multipliers that I may pick up will certainly make the effort worthwhile. Like you, 3000 seems to be the number to beat for me in these events. If you dislike making schedules, then I would suggest CQing and monitoring on 6 Meters (50.260 MHz USB) and then "move" any contacts to 2 Meters by adding some text to the "73"
 line the software like-- "GOT 2M? 144.142"

This would indicate to an experienced MS operator that you want to work them on 2 Meters on 144.142 if they have that capability.

An even better approach would be if all contesters would agree to try to work random contacts on the calling frequencies during a three hour or so period during the overnight period. This would encourage more random contacts, and help everyone improve their scores. It would be very similar to "random hour" activity periods that are held every weekend.

Best of luck Duff, and I'll certainly be looking West on 50.260 USB for you during the event. Hope to hear from the Land of Enchantment!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park