[VHFcontesting] WSJT for random contacts in contests?

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Thu Jan 14 11:13:16 PST 2010

Hello to everyone.....Jay's advice is excellent.  In January,
especially, there are a LOT of "rare" grids that you can work if you
just get on meteor scatter using the  FSK441 mode of WSJT.  On 6M, you
can pick up 15-20 new grids fairly easily.  If more people would get on
late at night(and especially from 5-7AM Sunday morning local time), even
more contacts will result.  More activity ====> more contacts and more
multipliers.

One reason given for NOT going after the rare contacts in this way is
that a single op station has to worry about sleeping, eating, taking
Aunt Minnie to church, and other such stuff.  I have never been a single
op, so I never worry about those things.  I worry about how to keep
someone in the chair operating for the entire 33 hours of the contest.
Sometimes that is hard.  I want to praise the set of ops who come over
here and run the station....they are the best.

However, with just 2-3 ops, you can keep a Limited-Multi going the
entire time.  One brave guy runs the digital stuff late at night and the
other two sleep.  Then the night op gets 5-6hours of sleep and comes
back to help finish the contest.  You will see a huge increase in the
score if you just keep plugging the whole time.  Just ask yourself, what
would 20 new multipliers do for my score??

K5QE will be on plugging away during the night hours.  On 6M, we operate
at 50.267MHz First sequence, but we work that out pretty quickly and
then we call CQ UP7 on 50.260MHz.  We run about 1KW and stacked yagis,
so most people will hear us quickly.  On 2M, we operate on
144.142MHz(the same as our EME frequency) also First Sequence.  We
resort to calling CQ UP2 when we fish 144.142MHz out.  We run a stacked
pair of 17el M2 yagis at 160ft for 2M tropo and MS.  Please note this:
We will be on EME until 0730Z(=1:30AM Sunday morning).  For that reason,
we will not start meteor scatter operations until that time.  IF there
is nothing happening on EME, we may start meteor scatter sooner.  IF you
are 2M EME equipped, please work us that way before the moon sets.  It
is a lot easier and quicker to make an EME contact than to wait for
random meteors.  On 2M EME, we operate JT65B on Second Sequence.

If you are within range, please look for us on meteor scatter during the
January contest.  Thanks a lot...All new grids gratefully appreciated.....

73 Marshall K5QE