[VHFcontesting] 70 cm power restrictions/Pave Paws

Jon Casamajor k6el at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 14:31:26 PST 2010

On 26 Jan KK6MC said>>>

I could have sworn that last time I checked this it said 50 Watts RMS, but
that is pretty much irrelevant for most of our operations. This document is
revised in March, October, and January of each year as far as I can tell.

These are pretty pernicious restrictions for weak signal work, and don't
make a whole lot of sense as the EIRP appears to be unlimited. - Duffey

I have looked at this several times and have never  been able to make much
sense of the limitation of 50w PEP.   It suggests that only the transmitter
power level should be limited and makes no reference to ERP  as Duffey
suggests.  If my 70 cm EME array delivers ERP of say 5KW from that 50w PEP
signal, that would appear to be legal.   I live about 45 miles from Beale
AFB and I point that way quite a bit during contest periods so I have to
imagine that my signal would be noticed by the Air Force down at Beale.  I
imagine I would shortly have a visit.

I don't want to stir the pot but I would like to know how this restriction
applies or doesn't apply to my operations.  The emphasis seems to have been
on FM repeaters using omni antennae from high level sites. There are darn
few 440 repeaters left in Northern California and there were dozens not too
long ago.

 73, Jon

 K6EL