[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Request for Stop-Gap Relief on VUCC/LoTW

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Mon Jul 19 17:27:21 PDT 2010

I like Dave Glen's idea as well, but it seems to be in lacks the "second
check" of integrity that might make this stop-gap acceptable to the League.

The beauty of this compromise is that it contains the best parts of both the
automated LoTW system and also the human verification of a card checker.
Since we know from anecdotal accounts that some card checkers have accepted
LoTW print outs in the past, without the system running amok, it may also
make this easier for everyone to swallow.

And it doesn't require anything more than an e-mail or mailing to the card
checkers, along with a story on the web site to start rolling. If a decision
could be made quickly, I'd imagine that it could be implemented before the
end of the summer. And it's only temporary until the programmers can fully
incorporate VUCC Award credits into the LoTW system.

There may be objections to the proposal, but right now, I'm not seeing any
that cannot be overcome. I only wish that it had occurred to us before the
Division Directors meeting.

Please write, call, or e-mail your Division Director, Section Manager, and
ARRL staff to voice your support for this proposal, and urge them to move
quickly to implement it.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63