[VHFcontesting] Antenna choices for new rovers in VHF

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Mon Mar 8 05:21:39 PST 2010

Hello to the group....I think that I recall an antenna with 6(or so) 432
elements in front of 3 el of 2M.  I think that it was a Kent, WA5VJB,
design.  The 432 elements in the front were essentially unaffected by
the 2M elements in the read and would only add about 3 ft to the antenna
length.

With a design like that, the only problem would be trying to figure out
how to have a single feedline.  As noted, the ICOM 706 type radios all
have two coax connectors on the output....HF/6M and 2M+432.  This means
that the 6M antenna can and should be completely independent of the
2M+432 antenna.

We have several rovers that have the KU4AB "dual loop" antenna for 2M +
432.  It has a single feedline and so it is very simple.  Of course, the
minus is that it is only a loop, not a beam.  However, we work these
antennas out to over 100 miles in every contest.  That is enough for 10
grids, which is all you can expect from new rovers.  The original
designer of that antenna is David, WT4E, who also sells his version.
Slap one of these on a tri-mag mount and you are good to go.

For 6M, we often use a simple mag mount vertical.  We use the 5/8th wave
2M vertical, which just happens to be a 1/4 wave on 6M and works
fine--especially for contacts of 100 miles or less.  We have a 3el
vertically mounted yagi at 110ft just for working rovers with the mag
mount vertical on 6M.  Works great.

The simpler the better for new, just starting out rovers.

73 Marshall K5QE