[VHFcontesting] Battery Question

Austin austin at k4amk.us
Wed Sep 15 11:58:14 PDT 2010

Mark,

I asked this same question over on the VHF Reflector a little over a
week ago.

As a result of the advice that I got, I went with #6 gauge wire directly
from the battery (with fuses right there) to the back of my SUV.  There
I plugged into a West Mountain PWRGate on the "PS" Post, and then I
connected my bank of my batteries into the "Battery" post (both with
Anderson Poles).  The PWRGate offers you fusing, but it also limits the
charging to 10amps.  I connected all of my radio's and amplifier's
directly to the bank of batteries.

For batteries, I went with the Optima YellowTop D31 series.  I got them
from a local dealer here for just under $200 each plus tax.  For the
rover station, I went with a bank of four of these Optima's.  Probably
overkill but didn't want to be stuck out somewhere and no power to
operate.

Good luck!

73,

Austin