[VHFcontesting] Gps

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 13:50:09 PDT 2010

Tom,

Many ( but not all) of the Garmin units display Maidenhead grid
squares.  I use a (now disontinued) Garmin GPS III which works very
well.  It appears that, in general, Garmin's hiker and general purpose
GPS models do grid squares, while their "navigators" for automotive
use don't.

My suggestion is to go to garmin.com where you can download the
instruction manuals and search for "Maidenhead" or "location format".

Another option that I found works well for iPhone users is the free
"Maidenhead Converter" app which takes your current location from the
phone's GPS and displays your grid square.

73, Dave/K8CC

Sent from my iPhone